We all have that brother or guy friend who claim they don’t care what they wear but want some sort of approval before heading out the door. It was my brother’s 21st birthday and he said, “how does this look?” slightly arrogantly. So, naturally, I assumed it was an outfit I had taught him. You know, a polo, khakis and some Sperrys. I almost fell off my chair when I saw him wearing plaid shorts and a striped button down. “Just because the blue on your shirt matches the blue on your shorts does not make the outfit match, Michael.” In order to avoid more of these sad situations, I present you with the list of Fall 5’s to secretly (or not so secretly) pound into every guy’s head you know.
The Fall Five
The Fall Five
- Plaid is always in. Pair it with a neutral and you’re ready to go. (Examples: Plaid shirt = neutral shorts/pants. Plaid shorts = neutral shirt. Plaid pants = you’d better be on your way to the golfing range, in which case I fully support the pant choice).
- Let me introduce you to one of my favorite acronyms – QZ. Also known as the quarter zip. And we don’t want to forget his brother QB, the quarter button. The only time I have sprained my neck was when I heard, “Guy to your left, 10 o’clock, QZ.” True story. Trust me on this one, you can thank me later.
- There is a difference between fitted and too tight. The only thing I allow to be too tight is a henley and you better have the body to pull that off. If you are questioning it right now, then the answer is no. But seriously, I am all for fitted jeans and pants in general, but unless you are in your hipster phase (which nobody should be, so automatically not an excuse), don’t let them be too tight. Leave the skinny jeans to the girls, please. We pull it off better than you – no arguments there, am I right?
- If you’re going to own one pair of shoes, let them be Sperrys. They work year-round and can be a great conversation starter (No, seriously). And for all those guys who love comfort over style, this shoe is a win-win. Comfortable and stylish.
- Fake it till you make it. Argyle socks are totally underrated. Stylish socks make it seem like you are really put together. Not that I condone it, but if your outfit is questionable, throwing on those socks will instantly make it better!
Meet Laura. A JCR girl by association, one of our best friends, and professional hashtagger:
Laura is a Midwestern city girl living in Lincoln Park. She is a marketing graduate of Loyola Chicago who loves all things social media, business, and analytics. You’ll find her at a cozy café next to the fireplace sipping her hazelnut latte while reminiscing of living in Italy. She explores her artsy side by painting, Instagramming, and pinning her dream life. “Do more of what makes you happy” guides how she lives her life, and it just so happens that J.Crew makes her very happy. Follow her on Twitter at @lfaerber.