So neither of us are in the midst of planning a wedding, but everyday we are inundated with wedding-related photos and ideas on Pinterest, Tumblr and Facebook. And it’s got us thinking a little bit…about what our weddings won’t be.
In other words, we’re picking up on all the trendy ‘hot right now’ wedding tips, tricks and ideas, and most of them, we’re just not that into. Primarily because we feel a wedding, above all parties, celebrations and occasions in one’s lifetime, should be: classy and fabulous, and above all, timeless. These are the photos you’ll hang on to forever. The memories that will last a lifetime. Your one shot to create the day you’ve always dreamed of. Which is why we are pre-planning (not our weddings themselves), but what they won’t be.
So the list goes,
At my wedding, we wont:
- Be drinking out of mason jars
- Use the phrase “Eat, Drink and Be Married”
- Put the menu on a chalkboard
- Pass Hors d’oeuvres on reclaimed wood pallets
- Play Party Rock Anthem
- Serve cutesy cupcakes frosted high with faux-diamond charms
- Draw hearts in the sand with our initials
- Pass out flip-flops for “Happy Feet”
- Take a close-up photo of the ring with the couple embracing in the distance
- Have chevron-striped napkins
- Have a photobooth with hipster props
- Wrap silverware in doilies and twine
- Use logs are placeholders or centerpiece decor
- Have flower girls in pink tutus
- Put feathers in our hair, or anywhere
- Wear wife beaters that say ‘He Put a Ring On It’
- Have bachelorette parties that involve boas, glitter, Nikki Minaj or Jager bombs
- Sign cardboard frames or wine bottles instead of guest books
- Make a tree out of guest’s fingerprints
- Make ‘beer cakes’ for the groomsmen
Provide beer cozies. Have beer in cans. (That is: No cozies, and no cans, it’s a No-Can-Do)
- Have star-shaped butter patties on the table. Or anywhere.
- Have a leopard-print cake
- Drive off in anything the Kardashians would be seen in
- Have the ring bearers dress as mini-secret agents carrying plastic lock boxes
- Have a table of knock-off Ray-Bans with a sign that reads, “Don’t Get Blinded By Our Love”
- Have a groom or groomsmen rocking Chuck Taylors
So, the moral of the story is…if you’re a classy, elegant JCR girl like the two of us, you favor timeless over trendy, classic over cutesy, and refined over ridiculously ‘hot right now on Pinterest.’ Our sincere apologies if you beg to differ on several of these list items, it’s just that we feel our weddings should be as classy and timeless as the Jackie cardigan, the Ray-Ban classic wayfarers and the signature Sperry Top-Sider. Our photos should stand the test of time, and in twenty years we should not have to think, “what was I thinking?!”
Tweet us your “At my wedding we won’t” statements and we might add them to our master list!
This post is brought to you by MM & JD.